Re thinking my game as an "app that creates game content."

There's only need for one forum for now. Discuss development. No advertising or thinly veiled attempts at advertising. Create a single thread for your project and be prepared to show and tell.
EighthDayAdvent

Re thinking my game as an "app that creates game content."

Post by EighthDayAdvent »

Hi all -

I will stop posting new threads about my game after this and just call this "my game thread" because I finally feel like I have an "end game" in sight.

About 8 weeks ago I began to see it less of a game and more of an "app that generates game content." So, I started creating customization tools, map editors, and I'm making the first scenario.

I made a little thing that lets the player see how the random "languages" work:

I am paying a new artist to replace my temp UI since I lost the first one a while back.

The languages impact the random name generator for your culture. I wanted to avoid having to type things on an iPad, but I also wanted an infinite amount of names that were kindof unique to that culture.

Now I am working on the first scenario - it is randomly generated so its not like a pre set map. But, in this scenario it generates a large AI "evil" empire. Your goal, as a "solo" style revolutionary is to topple it either from within or from externally. As you are a solo player, you cannot hope to take them on 1:1, but you can turn their neighbors against them by uncovering atrocities.

The large AI empire will have slavery and/or death camps, and I will populate it with a mix of ethnic groups and religions. Initially the large AI evil empire will have to keep its armies around their cities to stop unrest, but over time they will slowly eradicate/expel groups they hate. If they are allowed to complete this process, their armies will be able to go on the march and wipe out their neighbors and win.

I figure it is a good first target because everything in the game is more or less there to set this up. It also allows me to tailor the AI to the situation. I'm finding that AI is... really difficult and its best to narrow the scope.

Deckhead
Site Admin

Re: Re thinking my game as an "app that creates game content."

Post by Deckhead »

Man, that sounds really cool. Also, it's great to see your game in action somewhat. Have you got more video to share?
Developer of The Last Boundary and webmaster of IndieGameDev.net

EighthDayAdvent

Deckhead wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:17 am
Man, that sounds really cool. Also, it's great to see your game in action somewhat. Have you got more video to share?

So this video shows what I'm doing with this concept. I'm making a scenario where it randomly generates a map with a large central AI empire with a few other AI states around it. The large central AI empire has lots of ethnicities and a slave society.

Most of it doesn't work at this point or isn't calibrated. I realized when I made the cities large, the farming system was really aimed at a max ~ 300 city population. The result was the larger 600 population cities weren't producing enough food.

What I'm realizing is I have so much more work to do.

EighthDayAdvent

So the past 10 days or so have been this:

I made a scenario where there is one evil AI empire, and some smaller ones on the edge of the map.

The evil empire has slaves.

I made it so the evil empire cities could adjust the % allocation of labor to and from farmers.

This resulted in some cities going to 0% soldiers. This resulted in those with slaves having those slaves revolt.

Only the revolted slaves created an army of size 0 that stacked on top of villages over several turns and they did nothing.

Turns out the armies were created, and the slaves were transferred from the village to the new army slaves. So the new rebel army was 100% slave army with no non slaves ("citizens").

I fixed it and realized that the new revolted armies had a negative infinity soldier amount and negative infinity other things as well. Nice!

Took about 40 minutes to trace this down to two things (each one caused by a separate factor). Turns out I basically wasn't initializing the rebelled slave armies the same way as others and I apparently skipped a step.

So, tomorrow I will return to trying to make the AI societies manage themselves better.

Having 0% soldiers was a flaw that needs to be fixed. It occurs when it sets the farmer % to too high an amount (80% is max) and somehow this results in 0% soldiers.

The economy has 11 sectors so if you take 1 worker (or 1%/10%, you can adjust it either way) from one sector it has to come from somewhere. Its like a multi dimensional fitted sheet that keeps getting undone at every tug.

100goats

Post by 100goats »

EighthDayAdvent wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:56 pm

I will stop posting new threads about my game after this and just call this "my game thread" because I finally feel like I have an "end game" in sight.

About 8 weeks ago I began to see it less of a game and more of an "app that generates game content." So, I started creating customization tools, map editors, and I'm making the first scenario.

I made a little thing that lets the player see how the random "languages" work:
That sounds exciting!

I like these kind of games.

Do you have plans for saving the game content to a file so that others can share game content they made?

I like how RPG Maker does this.

EighthDayAdvent

100goats wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:27 pm

That sounds exciting!

I like these kind of games.

Do you have plans for saving the game content to a file so that others can share game content they made?

I like how RPG Maker does this.

Yes right now there is a map editor mode and you can save maps for playing now or later.

Also, you can save and create ethnicities and religions as well.

The way I did the file structure, each map editor save is identical to the first part of a save game, so that if you tried to load a save game as a map, it will just load the map and stop.

I'm doing the AI and whoa... it hurts my head. I got the AI allocating 60% to soldiers for some reason, but only if it has slaves. Also, slave societies for some reason have less food production when it should be the opposite. Ah well.

100goats

Post by 100goats »

That's good!

I can imagine the AI for this would be difficult.