I decided screw it, I'll make my game available

There's only need for one forum for now. Discuss development. No advertising or thinly veiled attempts at advertising. Create a single thread for your project and be prepared to show and tell.
EighthDayAdvent

I decided screw it, I'll make my game available

Post by EighthDayAdvent »

No marketing, just making it available with two reddit posts.

https://stratozyck.itch.io/eighth-day-a ... M2VPkXcNFf

I did it for a few reasons:

1) I am seeing this less of a product and more of a "I got it to this point." This is 145,000 lines of code. It will need to be about 200,000 to be worth charging for. I'm in it for the long haul, and I don't see making it available as a significant event. I'm ok with the crappiness of it at this stage.

2) I'm probably going to need to raise money to make it worth a $10-$15 price tag. I figure an incomplete game is a better resume for asking for money than a sketch of some ideas.

3) Frankly, I'm damn proud that you can load and save, and that there is a map editor that is 100% functional (with loading and saving).

I know people will download it and go, "this sucks" and send me complaints. But thats ok. I don't even need/want criticism because this morning, the game stopped working completely for about 90 minutes so I am just amazed the thing works.

I also think its a good idea to get the name out there, and set a good reference point for the future. Even if 2-3 people play it and go, "hey he was honest about what it was," that counts for me.

100goats

Re: I decided screw it, I'll make my game available

Post by 100goats »

That's great! I'll try to play it if I can.

Deckhead
Site Admin

Post by Deckhead »

Great work, man. Having it out there early could get you some longterm fans and helps spread awareness. You should be proud, getting that far is better than 90% of developers.
Developer of The Last Boundary and webmaster of IndieGameDev.net

EighthDayAdvent

100goats wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:32 pm
That's great! I'll try to play it if I can.
I screwed up the orig upload (deleted whole page instead of just file, oops)

https://stratozyck.itch.io/eighth-day-a ... 7DogQ9kB1A

Its mac only though. Its going to be an iPad game someday. Maybe by the end of the year if I can find some $ to spend on the art.

EighthDayAdvent

Deckhead wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:27 pm
Great work, man. Having it out there early could get you some longterm fans and helps spread awareness. You should be proud, getting that far is better than 90% of developers.

Thanks that is exactly how I feel.

I also believed it was good for legal reasons. The company logo and the name of the game are on there, so it satisfies "first use" in legal terms.

I have literally 0 desire for more than a few people to try it at this point. I don't even have 10% of the features documented so people can only follow a narrow "play it this way for a bit and then quit" type advice.

But yeah the tipping point for me was a having a map editor and saves & loads. I felt with a map editor, people could play around with that and any map they create will still be valid in a year.

Still, I 100% think the UI is mostly garbage right now and fully anticipate the "hey this looks like crap" comments. But, I thought about it and decided its important to start building a history for the game. This version up there now is the worst it will be for the rest of human history. I'm hoping a few people give it a try now and then and get a feel for the pace of improvements.