Mac only version for my game with map editor and scenario editor almost ready

There's only need for one forum for now. Discuss development. No advertising or thinly veiled attempts at advertising. Create a single thread for your project and be prepared to show and tell.
EighthDayAdvent

Mac only version for my game with map editor and scenario editor almost ready

Post by EighthDayAdvent »

Hi, my 4X TBS game Eighth Day Advent is still a few months away from the AI not being awful. In addition, I lost my UI artist and am kindof 50/50 about the replacement UI artist (seems to have... disappeared).

But, I have been working on a map and scenario editor. The Map editor works and you can load and save maps.

I'm working on saving & loading games this week, which will enable a scenario editor.

I'm going to spend the next 1-3 weeks really increasing the customization. The goal is to have in game art be customizable. Combined with scenario and map editors, it will make the game very modable.

That will enable me to create scenarios prior to an iPad release as well (the main target all along).

If anyone has a mac and is interested in playing around with a map editor, that is ready now. I just took two days off of work so I will have a 4 day weekend. I plan on knocking out a basic scenario editor/maker this weekend.

pic of editor in action: https://imgur.com/m6NmroX

I'm really happy about it because I never made save files before in the Mac API, only ANSI C type stuff. Plus, the amount of data that has to be saved and re loaded is pretty significant.

Deckhead
Site Admin

Re: Mac only version for my game with map editor and scenario editor almost ready

Post by Deckhead »

You might find someone in /r/playmygame or /r/testmyapp

I wish I had a mac to help you out.
Developer of The Last Boundary and webmaster of IndieGameDev.net

EighthDayAdvent

Re: Mac only version for my game with map editor and scenario editor almost ready

Deckhead wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:31 pm
You might find someone in /r/playmygame or /r/testmyapp

I wish I had a mac to help you out.
Thanks, I will wait about 1-2 weeks until the scenario editor is little more developed.

I am so happy that I figured out how to save and load because the amount of data is huge. I like opening the save files in a text editor and looking at it lol

Deckhead
Site Admin

Post by Deckhead »

Saving and loading is always something I leave until mid development and I realise I should have incorporated it sooner.

EighthDayAdvent

Deckhead wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:21 pm
Saving and loading is always something I leave until mid development and I realise I should have incorporated it sooner.
Yeah, I am happy that I added it now because it wouldn't have done much good before.

The first ~20 turns of the game were so riddled with mistakes, bugs, etc that I had plenty to work on.

Now that I got the AI able to survive, I needed to make it start to do things better at turn 20 and beyond.

My progress got slowed because I'd have to hit spacebar for a few minutes to see if the AI would do something.

Now with saves and scenarios, I will be able to better tune the AI to situations.

When I think about how the game was 1 year ago, so much has changed that I'm not too sure if it would have been worth it to add saves before.

Going through all the data structures now, I saw about 5% were no longer used, or effectively useless, so I was able to remove some things.

Deckhead
Site Admin

Post by Deckhead »

Those are the reasons I don't add the feature from early either. I guess I just don't remember to come back to it early enough. End result is I can play through the game without being able to save, then I need to add the save game feature, so now I'm adding serialisation to everything.

EighthDayAdvent

Deckhead wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:29 pm
Those are the reasons I don't add the feature from early either. I guess I just don't remember to come back to it early enough. End result is I can play through the game without being able to save, then I need to add the save game feature, so now I'm adding serialisation to everything.
Yeah I had a lot of pointers stored in data structures that needed to be converted to IDs and then loaded in. I didn't really plan it out but whats done is done.

Deckhead
Site Admin

Post by Deckhead »

EighthDayAdvent wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:54 am
Deckhead wrote:
Yeah I had a lot of pointers stored in data structures that needed to be converted to IDs and then loaded in. I didn't really plan it out but whats done is done.
I'm so glad I've implemented a Entity-Component System. No more pointer serialisation; just a bunch of IDs. I can't stress how much easier it is to work with.

EighthDayAdvent

Deckhead wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:10 am
EighthDayAdvent wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:54 am
Deckhead wrote:
I'm so glad I've implemented a Entity-Component System. No more pointer serialisation; just a bunch of IDs. I can't stress how much easier it is to work with.

Yeah, I went back and forth. I made a hash table early on for lookups, but gave up on that at some point. Its a little extra work to pack and unpack the data because ultimately everything gets stored as an ID.

But, the advantage comes with pathfinding. Each tile in my game has 9 sub tiles. Things like walls and production happen on subtiles. So with no structure on a tile, the pathfinding treats the tile as a normal tile and ignores structure values. But with structures on the tile it determines if it can move through the sub tiles to get to the destination.

Ultimately, saving the lookup step and having pointers in the data structure speeds things up. Each tile just has pointers to its neighbors instead of IDs.

Pathfinding is the bottleneck. Each army, village, fort, and wolf herd can send up to 48 scouts per turn to 48 tiles around it (automated) to see whats around. The time between turns gets really slow at much above 50x50. I have optimizations planned soon to save the paths for tiles that don't add walls from the previous turn, but that in itself adds a lot of memory. So its a memory/speed tradeoff.

Deckhead
Site Admin

Post by Deckhead »

I'm not 100% with your data layout from your description; but on the surface, having a series of pointers to neighbour tiles is going to cause a lot of cache misses.

Are these pointers to each of the subtitles on the neighbour positions, or pointers to the "parent" tile?