Door To Life Feedback

There's only need for one forum for now. Discuss development. No advertising or thinly veiled attempts at advertising. Create a single thread for your project and be prepared to show and tell.
100goats

Re: Door To Life Feedback

Post by 100goats »

The Windows issues were fixed!

There is a new binary release of Door To Life version 0.2.2 for Windows now.

https://github.com/adct-the-experimente ... tag/v0.2.2

-Collision detection with tiles was fixed.
-Collision detection performance improved.
Deckhead
Site Admin

Post by Deckhead »

Hey, so I played the new version. It's a lot better, I think because I'm not accidently falling in the holes anymore and I wasn't being constantly hounded by roaches.

In fact, I didn't see any roaches. Eventually, I came across some grey looking versions of me. When I did, they exhibited that same flashing in two different places at once behaviour that I saw with the roaches in the last version.

I also noticed that sometimes the character animation still seems to get stuck and she sort of skates along. It happens when I change directions without taking my finger off the previous movement key; but it was hard to have it consistently occur, so I'm not 100% sure on that.

A final little bug is the gun fires when I enter a door. It's a tiny little thing, but it's not something I expected so every time I went through a door, I thought it odd that the gun shoots too.

This same graphical glitch is occurring still in what I think is like "null" space on the map:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (44.33 KiB) Viewed 10421 times
Developer of The Last Boundary and webmaster of IndieGameDev.net
100goats

Post by 100goats »

Thank you for playing.

I forgot to increase the number of enemies in the labyrinth.
I will try to fix the animation bug once and for all and also remove the bug of a bullet being fired when opening a door.

I work relatively slowly at this, but it will grow to something more content rich.
I am glad I have a minimum working base exploration game for now.
Deckhead
Site Admin

Post by Deckhead »

100goats wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:15 am Thank you for playing.

I forgot to increase the number of enemies in the labyrinth.
I will try to fix the animation bug once and for all and also remove the bug of a bullet being fired when opening a door.

I work relatively slowly at this, but it will grow to something more content rich.
I am glad I have a minimum working base exploration game for now.
I know what you mean, this gamedev thing takes time.
Developer of The Last Boundary and webmaster of IndieGameDev.net
100goats

Post by 100goats »

I decided that rather than hardcode media loading and logic for several enemies in C++,
I am going to move towards using a scripting language for running logic for enemies and an XML file for specifying graphical properties
for media loading.

This will make it much more convenient for others to derive their own game from mine, compile the game, and program it.

I'll be using Lua for its small footprint and speed and pugixml for xml file reading.

I also got my dungeon editor to a working minimal state! It saves and loads in a xml file specified in the command line.

The dungeons are not implemented yet in Door To Life, but it will be soon. Dungeons will be entered from the labyrinth.
https://github.com/adct-the-experimente ... eon-Editor

100goats

Post by 100goats »

I decided that before I add mini dungeon and final boss features, I will make a github fork of my project to have a version
of the game that preserves the minimal gameplay of just exploring a maze.

I made a fork called Door To Life Minimal that keeps this minimal gameplay. I want to keep this gameplay for speedrunning fun.
https://github.com/adct-the-experimente ... fe-Minimal
100goats

Post by 100goats »

I am going to come back to developing this game soon and just make it a general compilation of
gameplay from my favorite video games e.g. Legend of Zelda, Zelda 2, Link to the Past, classic Prince of Persia, etc.

I plan on adding a final boss level that is accessible from the beginning of the game.

Big plans, but right now I don't have much in the game. hahaha
100goats

Post by 100goats »

I went back to development on this game.

I successfully managed to implement randomly setting mini dungeon entrances and loading mini dungeons from an xml file.

Users can now use the DTL-Dungeon-Editor to create dungeons and have it randomly placed in the game Door To Life!

https://github.com/adct-the-experimente ... on-Editor/

The dungeon_load branch of Door To Life implements the ability to randomly place and load dungeons defined in the dungeons-xml-registry.xml file
and located in the dungeons_xml directory.

https://github.com/adct-the-experimente ... ngeon_load

Edit: At the moment only tiles and walls are saved in the dungeon xml file. More will be added soon.
100goats

Post by 100goats »

I really liked the idea of a multiplayer zelda clone similar to 4 swords, but with the twist that players can share the same world, but be independent of each other.

I liked the idea so much that I decided to try to program local multiplayer in the game.

I don't care for split screen and I want the game to take advantage of multiple monitors on PC,
so I am just going to render to separate windows for each player.

Hopefully it will be a fun local multiplayer experience.

I may try to do online multiplayer with P2P networking if local multiplayer is successful.
100goats

Post by 100goats »

I tried rendering to separate windows as an alternative to split screen.

The way SDL2 does it, it is very difficult and impractical.
A texture copy and different renderer is needed for every texture to render to a different window.
I managed to render 2 players and the labyrinth tiles in 2 different windows.

I am going to make the 1 window bigger and just use spilt screen.